Friday, December 14, 2012

lucy.

just as promised, here are a few progress shots of Lucy. she will become my mobile vintage clothing shop upon completion, to be used at first monday trade days, and various festivals. as you can see she was a forgotten diamond in the rough. or in a diamond in a country field.
 just a brief back story...I had been casually searching for a vintage teardrop trailer for several months, the style and age I was drawn to happen to be the most sought after of the vintage trailer world. searching the Internet I would find a couple across the US, not a nice local selection ( here in TEXAS) and not just to mention the location, but going prices where a pretty large chunk of  change... part of me started to give in to the idea, that a 70s model trailer would have to suffice, something more common and closer to a practical price point. even so, that I made arrangements to check out one that my cousin had for sale, and needed very little work.
I believe it was pure fate and happenstance working together, when I came across a craigslist posting for Lucy on my way out of the city to visit my parents for the weekend. a 1952 Hawthorne California teardrop traveleer. at first glance, I was smitten, the listing photos were scary, but the bones, the potential, and the coolest part of all she was only 1.45 hours away from my parents home!!!... 
We were not at my parents an hour before I shared the listing with my dad and on the phone to arrange to see "the trailer" the next day.
the folks on the other end of the line, some of the kindest people ever, i hung up the phone with a happy happy hunch, I knew she was mine.
.
 after careful inspection that sunny day in the field were she sat so lonely for to long... plans to pay and have her delivered were handled, with a shake of a hand,  and dad, andy and I were back in the truck for the drive home when restoration/idea overload set in. the moment I laid eyes on her, the name Lucy just hit me- her full name is Lucy in the sky with diamonds, aka Lucy Raye. Raye being the shared name of my dad and I , and as a tribute to the labor of love, and the blood, sweat and tears..( literally) shared over the beautiful course of this project/dream endeavor.  
i have discovered so much over the process of this ongoing restoration, about myself, about the pursuit of dreams, big or small.  a profound understanding that what once was beautiful and admired, could be so again. Much like the clothes I will be selling from Lucy's re-imagined potential, clothes that were once discarded or damaged, while with some love and belief,
vintage clothing that no inspired piece of today can hold a candle to.
its funny, the lessons i am learning, much to do with keeping the course, believing in the outcome, and working diligently to get there, along with fervent trust in Gods timing.   
working, talking, creating, and believing beside my dad has been a gift, and one i will never forget. from him i have learned a great deal about patience, pride, perfectionism, and possibility. the process itself is one that I honestly underestimated, (and were not done yet). at first perception I thought a little sanding, some paint, new floors and tlc and she will be ready to roll... uhh no,  she would be the personal stamp of my fathers, therefore a result of his perfectionism and the level of his background in classic restoration. It has been his expertise, perfectionism and complete love for me and my dream, that makes me so proud to call him my dad, and my lead man on this.
I am beyond gratefull for the amount of work, time, and accuracy my dad has poured into our mutual labor of love, thanks dad, I love you, more than I could ever say.
 Lucy has come a long way, she is set to be painted inside and out, with finishing touches completed soon after. I will be back with those photos soon. The plan is to to selling to the public and sharing the treasure of this 60 year old stunner in the upcoming months! thrilled to my toes. xo-
 








2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Love the progress and I'm sure it will be a beautiful place to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, what a cool inspiring story! I met you today at Canton and was so in awe of your trailer. It has come so far and you have done an amazing job. You are so blessed to have a great dad who loves you so much to do this with you. You, your trailer, and your vintage clothing were adorable. Can't wait to get pics of my 2 girls in their dresses I got from your booth. I will share them with you soon. God Bless You,
    Tabitha
    http://thelostsocklife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete